Thursday, October 28, 2010

Seniors how do you spend your time?

Most of us dont spend all of our time on the computer, or sitting looking out the windows, I walk everyday, to the market, buy fresh produce, walk to the park, the lake, I do a lot of photography, my camera goes everywhere with me, I am constantly learning and studying Mandarin, I love to cook, so make all my meals from scratch. I love to garden, flowers and veggies, so several times a week in season mow my lawn, weed and I love raking leaves. I am once more spending from Sept to July living overseas and teaching/tutoring english and sight seeing etc



Swim as much as possible. I do a lot of my own home renovations, did the kitchen this past summer, built a deck and replaced part of the fence. Do a little work out, exercise routine everyday which includes hand held weights and resistence workout, I read a lot Try to keep up sailing when possible , I dont crew these days, I am just decorative :-)



Art galleries, music in the park, festvals, art in the park, etc



I used to love making jams and jellies but with just me it isnt worth the fuss and mess anymore..



I'm 58. Have a disability and chronic pain condition, so it isnt always easy to keep going, but the alternative of sitting down and quitting isnt acceptable IMO Of course I dont all of this everyday lol



How are all of you spending your time and what have you given up and why?Seniors how do you spend your time?
Well I am 70 and do pretty much of what you do except Mandarin and swimming..I arise at 5;46 and by 6am I am out the door and walk my five miles .I cook alot ,and love to bake,clean big home.I Pick up one of my grand daughters from HS .......walk my dog to dog park,Dabble a little on computer,go shopping with hubby...thrift stores.I also do extra walking on my tread mill. I really keep quite busy.I dont take any medications yet..and am in great health.......To the one that said 58 isnt a senior...yes it is begins at 55....good luck, good health to all of you..and God blessSeniors how do you spend your time?
You are right I spend a lot of time researching on my computer. I also like the outdoors, but my health hampers much of that. We also spend time researching different cultures, planning international trips, ect. We are considering traveling to South Viet Nam or China. We enjoy scheduling or days away, and find the cheapest prices for everything.
I am 62 and recently retired from my work. I have taken up wood carving because it is quite time-consuming and gives me a real feeling of accomplishment. Anyone can learn and you can spend small bits of time or huge chunks of time each day on a project. I found a wood carving group in my area that are more than willing to teach me.
You obviously aren't old ';Of course I dont all of this everyday lol';

if you were really old you would not have said ';lol'; or added Additional Details.

Who do you think you are fooling?

I wasnt born yesterday.
They are so wrong. They also think seniors are no longer interested in sex! LOL :%26gt;)
I can't walk much but I did manage to cut a tree down and take down the phone line today. I raked part of the back yard, my wife and I dug a few canna bulbs.

My friends knew me as being outside til dark. They wouldn't even come to the door if they didn't see me outside. Unfortunately that has changed. After todays encounter with the tree I probably won't be able to get out for at least a few days. I have some neurological problems with a spinal cord injury and people that don't know me are always grabbing me so I won't fall because of violent spasms. I can only tell them I am all right, I might not look good but I can still get it done, LOL!
How active a senior is depends entirely on how healthy one is. My aunt who is 75 can no longer do most of the things she did at 65. The poor soul is wracked with back pain has a bad heart and numerous other physical ailments. At 65 she did everything, cook, clean, yard work, gardening, walked the malls from one end to the other. Life was good, then the health began to fail and her life style changed completely.

So for those of you who are healthy and able, God bless and be ever thankful for that.
My house is clean! I remember when all 5 of the kids where home and my spouse and I both worked 40+ hours a week, it seemed like it was impossible to have a clean and organized home. Well, I'm almost there. There are a few corners that need to be dealt with, but for the most part my home is company ready at all times now.



I cook most of my meals from scratch, and experiment with new recipes.



I go to my oldest daughters home once a week and help her with housework, as she too has a large family. I never had outside help, and it makes her life a bit less stressful to come home to a clean house now and then. Something I never had that I'm able to gift to her.



I have two large, spoiled dogs that I walk often and take up a lot of time with.



I do spend several hours a day on my computer, but not all at once or I physically feel like crap. Because of my arthritis, I can't sit still for long.



I still do a little crafting now and then, my latest craft is candle making, and I still do flower arrangements.
Wonder why some younger folk think if we use ';LOL'; we are not older ?



Anyhoo - I don't do nearly as much as you isotope, but do work FT; drive for enjoyment [like the 'old' Sunday drives of yore';; travel extensively when I can afford it; read; constantly searching the internet as a learning tool; do part time life skills coaching in addition to my job; visit fairs, flea markets; go to the movies; dine with friends; walk when I can etc.
Since retirement, I do everything you do except studying Mandarin, gardening and traveling. I help to fund charitable organizations such as A.C.S., local hospitals and nursing care facilities, the SPCA, and children who are in need of clothing and financial help, instead of traveling. I frequently use the computer, cell phone, camera and I love the park, walks, lake and river fishing, low impact working out at the gym with weights, swimming, reading all kinds of factual information, current events, and helping other senior friends over 65. I still socialize regularly with friends and family members but I gave up jogging, jumping rope and parasailing due to knee replacement surgeries. I am busier since retirement than I was before it. We are not even remotely idle!
I just turned 60. I get up fairly early. I used to have all day to do whatever I wanted, but for 9 months our daughter and her 5 children are living with us. They are trying to sell their place in North/central Mississippi, and then she is getting married to her high school sweetheart. So, for the time being, they are with us, ex pays his BIG child support and spousal support (he decided he wanted to ';play'; and not be in a marriage anymore).

ANYWAY!! I have my coffee while sitting checking email and doing some website work on the computer. I take breaks to do laundry and floors, beds, etc.

Most days I did whatever. On Wednesday I have bible study, then lunch with the ladies. On Monday, Wednesday and Thursday nights I lead an exercise class at my church. We do Richard Simmons Sweatin to the oldies and other stuff.

On Tuesday morning I clean someone's house for pay. I also try to clean the Youth House (volunteer) once or twice a month. I also do a lot of cooking and cleaning. LOTS!!!

On most weekends, my friends and I go to the movies (just went yesterday to see George Clooney in The Men who Stare at Goats).

We go out often to have lunch, the spend afternoons together to play board games or Dominoes.

My husband and I go fishing in our boat, and we also go to movies and dinner. I love to shop.

Once a year I go to San Diego to visit our youngest and her husband. This past Feb I went on a Caribbean Cruise with 27 other ladies. OMG! A blast!

I do a lot of reading and am in a book review group called ';Lit %26amp; Latte';. We read a book (Christian fiction) once a month and get together to discuss it.

I love to travel and plan on doing a lot more. I just wish my husband would love it too, but he lets me go with my friends.

I am a Past Queen, and a 5 year member of the RED HAT SOCIETY. We have lots of fun together. We do scavenger hunts, parties, White Elephants, BIG Christmas parties, etc.

No sitting by the window with nothing to do just yet! Although I love sitting outside on my patio on my swing doing my bible study or just reading. I like to go to the beach as much as I can. I love swimming and just being in the water.
I have very good help on the Fritter Ranch so what I don't get done gets done anyway. I milk a cow lots of mornings and evenings but if I am away or occupied there is some one to handle the chore. I think the exercise is good for me. Taking care of the chickens and gathering the eggs is my Sweeties pleasure so I leave that to her most of the time . If she is busy in the house I will take care of them or the help will, We all work pretty hard but I don't really do like I used to. Kinda slowing down a bit I guess, I don't admit to that very readily but I guess the only one that I am fooling is myself. I do love to saddle my horse and spend an afternoon checking things out in one of the pastures. I can spend the whole afternoon just riding in one pasture so I could stay pretty busy just doing that. My Sweetie insist that I carry a cell phone with me, so I do. That kinda spoils the ambiance a bit but she is pretty adamant about this so I sacrifice some of my independence. We both go to town together when we do and it is nice to see a few folks around the town. I just as soon not go but my Sweetie doesn't like to go by herself so I go along. We must keep an eye on the fences and especially those that run along the county road in my front pasture. That in itself is a pretty steady task.

I enjoy taking a 22 cal. rifle and just walking and kicking around out in the pastures, I kill the skunks when I see one because they help themselves to a chicken whenever they can. I'll shoot every Rattlesnake I see but the rest of the snakes I don't bother. Rattlesnakes are the only poisonous ones that I see out here.
My day starts at 5:30 a.m. My son and d.i.l. are divorcing and he has custody of the kids. He leaves for work at 6:30 a.m.and I'm at their house getting kids up and ready for school digging through closets and drawers for proper clothes. I have a van and load up all the neighborhood kids that need rides and deliver everyone and back home at 8:15. Pick up at my son's house and put a load of clothes in washer and put away the ones in the dryer! Come to my house and do my chores and wait for calls from the school that one of my 5 grandkids has a problem (sick or forgot books) so I resolve it!! When they have Dr.'s appointments I take them because my daughter works full time!! After 6:30 p.m. I have my life back!! But I love it and people tell me I will be rewarded for stepping up to the plate with all my back and shoulder problems but I have answers from that man upstairs that always comes to my rescue!!! Wouldn't trade it for a farm in Texas!!
sleeping 6 hours a day. in the summer I watch my grass grow and keep the pool clean and do all minor maintenance around the house and at the cabin up north. In the winter I watch it snow and plow it when needed. Oh, yeah I am on the computer most of the time when I ain't doing the above. Also have to take the time to go see all my doctors for health reasons. That is usually every 4 - 6 months.
58 is not a '; Senior '; but close . I am only 51 ( 52 in 10 days) but I was passed some genetically bad problems that hit about 2 years ago. %26amp; can't sit for more than 20 minutes without back spams, %26amp; severe pain. My typing horrible due to severe Arthritis . Corrections take longer than the answer takes.. cleaning a Kitchen after a meal that used to take 15 minutes is now a 2 hour ordeal. That I sometimes give up on. until '; Tomorrow'; .. %26amp; I HATE IT!! I can not sleep in my bed for a full night due to severe curvature %26amp; degenerated disks in my spine. I am not allowed to drive because of my knees giving out due to Rheumatoid arthritis %26amp; the same in my hands . My Garden has gone to weeds. %26amp; I cry daily because of who I once was %26amp; what I could do. Writing a letter looks like someone 90 wrote it %26amp; I used to write beautifully ( everyone used to ask me to write things for them because I penned very well) I was %26amp; and still am a fighter for what is right . But I can no longer get out there %26amp; stand up for it ..

You are very Blessed dear lady.. I only wish I could be the I was 2 years ago..

But I do Say Those of YOU that can %26amp; are not redundant or Idle You are becoming the masses for the future %26amp; God Bless %26amp; keep you as Strong as you are *

No comments:

Post a Comment