Friday, November 12, 2010

How do I get out of this situation?

I'm 18, my mom's 48. Growing up, my mom had problems with drugs (speed) so I lived with my dad. But when I was 10 he died, so I was forced to live with my mom. She wouldn't get a job and she just cooked speed and we couldn't pay the bills a lot of the time(the only source of income was social security I was getting from my father's death), and we finally got evicted when she started the house on fire. We then were forced to move into my grandma's house 6 hours away. There, my mom finally got clean and got a job at a grocery store. Once she saved up enough money, we moved out into an apartment. We've never had a stable relationship, she's VERY obsessive and emotional. She throws things when she can't watch t.v., she cries when she tries to exercise, and she won't clean the house unless she's got cocaine(I do most of the housework). When I was 14 I started smoking weed(%26amp; other drugs) and when she found out, she started smoking with me, which at the time I thought was cool, but now I'm 18 and I've grown out of that, I no longer have any interest in drugs. She however, still does the same thing, everyday when she gets home from work. Sits on the couch, smokes pot, watches the same t.v. shows, eats, falls asleep. She also has a bit of an alcohol problem. She depends on me to do most things, wether it be hooking up the DVD player, or going grocery shopping.

In high school(I just graduated this month), a few teachers I was close to, begged for me to get out of her house as soon as possible because it's unhealthy for me. The only problem is, I'm going to start out at community college for a year, and then transfer to a 4 year university. So for the next year, I was going to continue to live with her. But I'm realizing that her behavior will never stop and I can't let her depend on me anymore. I NEED OUT. My options are limited though, my other family members would take me in, but I couldn't stay there long because they don't have extra room for me. And I don't have a boyfriend. I know that the best option is probably to save money and get an apartment, with a roommate, but won't that take a long time? I'm afraid I won't be able to buy everything necessary for living on my own?

HELP!!!How do I get out of this situation?
ouch, little sister, my heart and thoughts go out to you, and i'm so sorry to hear about your father. that's a very hard situation to come from. i'm very glad that this living condition has not turned you to the worse side. the best advice i can give is to get yourself a good job, maybe call on a girlfriend or two (who also have good jobs and can be dependable) and rent a house or apartment as soon as you can. it doesn't take as long as you might think, maybe a month or two, if you can get the girls and money together. also, if you have a good bank or credit union, i wouldn't hestitate to take out a small loan to help set yourself up. being 18 you should have supreme credit, so just pay your dues on time. keep strong, babe, it sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders.How do I get out of this situation?
I feel your pain, I grew up w/ an alcoholic mother who was very verbally abusive and tried to live her life through me!!! You should listen to your teachers, when I graduated, I moved out 2 weeks later. I too went back to school and worked at night!! YOU CAN DO IT!!!! maybe you should even try to find a room mate. You def. need to get out from under your mother who is obviously sick and co-dependent on you which is so unhealthy for you!! You sound like you are trying to get your life together and living w/ her will not make it easy. You prolly feel imprisoned. I know I did. I almost felt like I was doomed/trapped by my mom. You're first priority needs to be you and later on you can focus on trying to help her get straightened out. I really feel sorry for you, dont give up and stay!! You can make it on your own if you really want it AND get a great education. p.s. look into student loans as well to help pay some of your bills:) you will have to pay them back, but, only after you get out of school and start working! I'll be thinking of you:)
**** that really sucks... but you should tell your mom how you feel. tell her that she has to stop doing drugs that you can't take this any longer that she has to quit. tell her this when she is not on drugs though that way she may under stand what you are going through what you went through. Let her know that if she continues that you will be forced to put her in a retirement home. Good luck.
You should live with your family members while you are saving up money,and because you cannot stay very long with one family member, you should switch between them, when you know you have enough money for everything and a couple months worth of rent then you should move into an apartment.
This is going to be rough, but you need to get out of your moms house. BEG one of your relatives to let you stay with them, get a job and pay them some kind of rent-even if you offer them $75 to just get a bed or a room-the basement whatever. Just until you finish community college and go off to university.



If that doesn't work (I don't know what state you live in) look into getting some assistance until you go to the university. Call the community college and see what help, if any they can give you. If you have a girlfriend, ask if you can stay with them, with their family. Whatever you have to do, you have to get out.



One thing you need to understand-for a while, your life is not going to get easier. You have had it rough and it's going to stay that way until you get out on your own fully. It does not mean that you can't do this. It just means that you really have to want this because there are going to be days when you wake up and say F**k this, I can't do this, but you can. The fact that you are still alive and still want to go on tells me that you can do this.
  • do puppies have rabies
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment